One of my favorite fruits, pomegranates offer more than just incredible taste—they are nutritional and healing powerhouses. Here are 13 reasons to start eating pomegranates or drinking their juice if you aren’t already:
1. Anti-aging effects: Pomegranates contain plentiful amounts of antioxidants. They rate high on the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s ORAC scale (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity)—a measure of how well free radicals are absorbed. Pomegranate juice measures 2860 on this scale.
2. Kidney protection: New research published just days ago in the journal Renal Failure showed that an extract of pomegranate prevented kidney damage and protected the kidneys against harmful toxins.
3. Liver protection and regeneration: More new research published in the journal Toxicology and Industrial Health showed that pomegranate juice not only protects the liver, it helps it to regenerate after it has been damage.
4. Immune-boosting: Pomegranates and pomegranate juice are packed with immune-boosting vitamin C—an essential and quickly depleted nutrient at this time of year.
5. Anti-allergic: Pomegranates are high in substances called polyphenols which have been shown to reduce the biochemical processes that are linked with allergies.
Continue reading: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/13-reasons-to-love-pomegranates.html