There are lots of good reasons to compost. Save money, save resources, improve your soil and reduce your impact on the environment. Regardless of your reasons, composting is a win/win scenario. Good for you and good for the environment.
Adding compost to your garden will not only fertilize, it actually feeds your soil with a diversity of nutrients and microorganisms that will improve plant growth. Chemical fertilizers on the other hand provide a quick burst of a limited number of nutrients that can wash away into our rivers and streams. Compost also increases soil stability, improves drainage and helps retain moisture.
- No need to buy chemical fertilizers. Compost is free!
- Compost helps to retain soil moisture so you water less.
- The nutrients from compost are not washed away by rainfall. No waste!
- Keeps a valuable resource out of the landfill.
- Waste less water since compost helps with moisture retention.
- Reduce civic costs for waste collection and thereby reduce fuel use.
- Extend the life of landfills. Remember residential waste is 40% compostable materials.
Learn more here: http://greenactioncentre.ca/content/why-should-i-compost/