Basil is a natural herb with the potential to produce powerful beneficial effects.
- It has properties that counteract bacteria such as salmonella, listeria, and staphylococcus.
- It also combats fungal infections, yeast infections, and acne.
- Its anti-inflammatory properties can aid those suffering from arthritis or inflammatory bowel disease.
- Basil also has been found to protect DNA, chromosomes, and overall cellular structure from the effects of oxidative stress.
- Blood pressure and heart health benefit from basil due to its high levels of beta carotene and magnesium.
- Finally, certain cancers show evidence of being diminished by basil: melanoma, leukemia, skin tumors, and osteosarcoma.
Basil can be taken simply as a dried spice or as pesto sauce atop Italian noodles, but it is most effective when it is fresh. Thus, a salad that includes basil leaves is a great way to get your basil supply. Several such salads shall be noted below.
Basil With Cherry Tomato Salad
Cut about a one-cup package of basil leaves into thin strips. Combine them with four cups of chopped cherry tomatoes, one cup of walnuts, three tablespoons of olive oil, and a half cup of sliced, black olives. Salt to taste.
This attractive-looking salad is simple to make but very delicious. It goes especially well with any Italian dinner.
Basil and Corn Salad
Chop up a half cup of basil. Combine it with one large, chopped-up cucumber, three cups of cooked corn, a quarter cup of chives, and two tablespoons of mayonnaise or substitute. Salt and pepper to taste.
This unique salad can add variety to your “home menu.” Consider using it as a side with a meat dish.
Basil and Strawberry Salad
Tear up a quarter cup of fresh basil. Combine it with a pound of sliced strawberries, a half cup of sliced sweet onions, eight cups of romaine lettuce, three tablespoons of olive oil, and three tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
This salad makes an excellent desert item. It should be served immediately after being tossed.
Continue reading: http://blogs.naturalnews.com/4-tasty-basil-salads-healing-powers/