Forget the sugar-laden coffee shop chai loaded with artificial flavorings. For a fraction of the price, you can make this cozy beverage right in your own kitchen. Use whatever milk you prefer, and adjust the amounts to taste. You can also use 1/2 teaspoon each of ground spices rather than the whole pieces if you don’t have them on hand.
- 1 cup water
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 star anise, broken into pieces
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cup milk
- Honey (optional)
- 4 black tea bags (or 2 heaping tablespoons loose leaf black tea)
- Place water and spices in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add milk and honey to taste (if desired), stir, and bring to boil once more.
Continue Reading here: http://greatist.com/eat/recipes/chai-latte